- Dear Friends and Neighbors, The state of Washington’s K-12 education system remains one of my top priorities as we approach the 2024 legislative session. And, according to the Seattle Times, significant learning loss remains a critical problem. The equity issue of our time Last year, I worked to get funding for intensive tutoring and […] The post Newsletter: Our kids are still behind academically due to pandemic shutdowns appeared first on John Braun.
- Dear Friends and Neighbors, As I shared in my previous newsletter, I suspected the carbon-pricing auction held by the Washington State Department of Ecology on August 30 (as part of the Democrats’ “cap-and-tax” plan) would result in another increase in the price of fuel. The results of that auction were made public yesterday and confirm […] The post Newsletter: Gas prices expected to increase again — by 6 cents per gallon appeared first on John Braun.
- OLYMPIA…Senate Republican Leader John Braun shared the following comments on the heels of two recent court decisions saying Washington’s legislative district maps, which were created by the Washington State Redistricting Commission during the 2022 redistricting process and went into effect this year, must be redrawn for the 15th Legislative District. The judge in Soto-Palmer v. […] The post Braun: Legislature has duty to reconvene Redistricting Commission appeared first on John Braun.
- 20th District senator says Democrat colleague’s proposal to reduce pain at pump also deserves consideration CENTRALIA… The excessive financial windfall from Washington’s cap-and-tax policy should be used to address the affordability crisis facing the state’s homeowners and renters, says Senate Republican Leader John Braun. As of last month, state government had already raked in $919.5 million […] The post Republican leader calls for new path toward housing affordability appeared first on John Braun.
- Dear friends and neighbors, Republicans have talked a lot about the record increases in the price of gas. We’ve been clear that the tax program the Democrats refer to as “cap-and-trade” or “cap-and-invest” (but we call “cap-and-tax”) is to blame for Washington having the highest/second-highest gas prices in the nation. The governor and the Democratic […] The post Newsletter: Attorney General’s office tells PSE to hide reason for increase to your power bill appeared first on John Braun.
- Dear friends and neighbors, Although the legislature isn’t in session, it’s important to continue updating you on developments that will affect your families. At the moment, Washington has the second-highest gas prices in the nation. On Aug. 30, another carbon credit auction for the Democrat-sponsored cap-and-tax program will take place. It’s likely that the results […] The post Newsletter: What are your legislative priorities for 2024? appeared first on John Braun.
- Another example of how the government thinks it can spend your money more wisely than you can Did you notice recently that the state of Washington deducted an additional 0.58% of your paycheck? This is to fund what the Democrats are calling “Washington Cares,” which is a state-administered long-term care program that has some serious […] The post Newsletter: Long-term care tax hits everyone’s paychecks appeared first on John Braun.
- OLYMPIA…Senate Republican Leader John Braun, R-Centralia, released the following comments today after the governor and legislative Democrats held a news conference to announce legislation aimed at limiting the profits of oil companies. Braun reinforced his previous statement about what is causing Washington’s gas prices to remain the highest in the nation. “The governor’s news conference […] The post Governor’s “Cap and Gouge” program responsible for highest gas prices nationwide, says Braun appeared first on John Braun.
STATEMENT: Just in time for summer driving, Inslee cap-and-tax scheme pushes Washington gas prices to highest in nationCENTRALIA… The average price of a gallon of regular gasoline in Washington is now worst in the nation, and Senate Republican Leader John Braun says the state’s controversial cap-and-tax law is clearly the main driver of the price jump. Braun, from Centralia, serves Washington’s largely rural 20th Legislative District. He offered this statement regarding the […] The post STATEMENT: Just in time for summer driving, Inslee cap-and-tax scheme pushes Washington gas prices to highest in nation appeared first on John Braun.
- CENTRALIA… State lawmakers have been called into a special session to continue work toward a new state law on the possession of controlled substances, after failing to come to an agreement before the regular legislative session ended April 23. Senate Republican Leader John Braun offered this comment following Gov. Jay Inslee’s proclamation that the Legislature […] The post STATEMENT: Republican leader cautious about drug-law ‘special’ session appeared first on John Braun.